About the Lab
The Anesthesiology Research Laboratory conducts basic science, mentors clinician scientists, supports collaborative research opportunities, and provides research training for residents, fellows, and graduate students. The Laboratory consults in all aspects of departmental research.
- Influence of the gut microbiota in pathological states including obstructive sleep apnea, hypertension, aging, stroke, and vascular cognitive impairment.
- The microbiota/gut/brain/axis
- Cardiovascular effects of obstructive sleep apnea
- Cerebrovascular circulation
The Cerebrovascular Research Laboratory, a component of the Anesthesiology Research laboratory, has ongoing projects which focus on:
- Pathophysiology of the cerebral circulation in stroke, obstructive sleep apnea, and vascular cognitive impairment
- Novel methods of neuroprotection
- Communication between the endothelium and vascular smooth muscle
- Potassium channels in cerebral blood vessels
The Anesthesiology Research Laboratory is funded by grants from the National Institutes of Health and the American Heart Association.
1 R01 NS102594
Gut Dysbiosis and Cerebral Small Vessel Disease
The Detrimental Effects of Age Related Dysbiosis
R01AG058463 Dynamic Non-Neuronal Interactions between the Gut Microbiota and the Brain in Aging and in Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy
Examining the Role of Gut Dysbiosis in Obstructive Sleep Apnea Induced Hypertension