The Department of Education, Innovation and Technology (EIT) anchors education, one of Baylor’s mission areas, as a discipline at the College with an academic focus on the science of teaching and learning. Members of the department contribute to a growing body of specialized knowledge related to how people learn and effective educational practices.
Faculty members in the department have diverse sets of knowledge and skills related to educational research and evaluation, technology applications, scientific and clinical teaching, commercialization and research coordination. The synergies afforded by EIT promote collaboration and development of novel educational experiences for students and trainees, educational programs and teaching resources.
The department guides professional growth and development of its members, supports faculty career advancement, and stimulates identification and translation of new discoveries or best practices benefiting the learning community within Baylor, globally and nationally.
Disciplinary Focus Areas
The Department of Education, Innovation and Technology provides infrastructure and collaborators to develop interdisciplinary partnerships, businesses and scholarly work, as well as new learning objects, distance education strategies, courses or curricula. In particular, faculty members focus on the following areas within education as a discipline.
Science of Teaching and Learning
- Principles of adult learning (andragogy)
- Improvement in educational practices through discovery, innovation, synthesis and application
Curriculum Design and Assessment
- Approaches that are appropriate for self-directed, collaborative or interdisciplinary learning
- Alignment of learner outcomes, assessment approaches and design of learning experiences
Learner-centered Teaching and Education Methodologies
- Applications of inclusive and equitable approaches
- Development of learners’ metacognitive and critical thinking skills
- Teaching practices that promote disciplinary expertise and learner agency
Online Teaching and Learning
- Blended/hybrid, synchronous and asynchronous strategies for teaching and course design
- Connected learning using new technologies or approaches
Digital Technology Applications to Education
- Alignment of technology use to learning goals
- Development or new applications of learning objects and digital tools